Monday Mar 29, 2021
Monday Mar 29, 2021
Presented and produced by Seán Delaney.
On this week's podcast I am joined by Professor Stefan Ward from Central Washington University who is currently a Fulbright Scholar in Dublin City University Institute of Education. Among the topics we discuss are:
- His interest in positive youth development
- How he became involved in Project Fun Direction and why it is important for young girls
- What is physical literacy and how is it developed?
- Physical education in schools in the United States
- Why games such as Dodge Ball and relay races need to be removed from PE class
- Specialist physical educators in the United States
- The Irish physical education curriculum
- What an effective PE lesson looks like (Moderate to vigorous activity; differentiated instruction; choice; reflection time)
- Assessment in PE (physical, cognitive, affective)
- Teaching physical education with minimal equipment (including planning for activities that require minimal equipment such as hiking, soccer).
- Skill themes in primary and post-primary PE classes
- Reducing risk of physical injury in PE class
- Modifying games
- Teaching physical education in all weathers or with limited facilities
- Generic and sport-specific strategies for differentiating a physical education lesson, such as tennis: cooperative practice, modify game to make goal easier, award points for attempts, use different equipment – e.g. foam ball, different racquet, give choices for students to be successful at different levels.
- Duties associated with his university role in the United States
- Shape America
- Positive Youth Development – self-determination theory (relatedness, competence and autonomy)
- Bringing Student PE teachers to volunteer in sports camps abroad in Guam and in Ireland
- Selecting candidates for a physical education teaching programme
- Impactful teacher: Tom Martinek
- Missy Parker
- Teaching Personal and Social Responsibility
- Book: Youth Development and Physical Activity
To leave or reply to comments, please download free Podbean or
To leave or reply to comments,
please download free Podbean App.